Guys, a menu is just not happening this week. I only actually cooked for three nights last week, one of those nights was rotini and meat sauce which almost doesn’t count because it’s just sauce and pasta and most people just get that from a jar, and this week has just been an off one so far in terms of blog-prep because I have a lot of other little things on my mind. The middle weeks of June are rough for me every year, I like to think most families have a period of the year where a bunch of holidays all get mashed together, and whether or not that’s true, this is mine.
There’s just so much going on that it’s tough for my little introverted hermity self to keep up sometimes – in addition to just trying to keep cool. I honestly don’t have the extra energy even to beat myself up over it, we all get behind sometimes and it makes more sense to focus on getting it together in time for next week. We’ve had a couple of super yummy things this week that I can’t wait to share with you 🙂
Most people wouldn’t think so because I went to pastry school, but I am a huge fan of boxed cake mix. It’s so hard to mess up and since we seldom have sweets, it saves me so much cabinet space that would otherwise be used by things I’d hardly ever touch! I keep several on hand and every time I learn something new that I can do with it I have to try it.
Last week I experimented with some cake mix cookies and they came out so good that they didn’t last the week – which is a fair amount of cookies between two people. I also decided on a whim to make them with Greek yogurt in place of oil and it worked! So while I certainly couldn’t call them healthy, they were slightly less bad than usual. The only caution I’d give is that they were a bit stickier without the oil, so definitely use parchment paper or lightly spray your baking sheet with vegetable or canola oil to keep them from sticking if you go that route. Otherwise, they were absolutely delectable, chewy, soft – and stayed that way for several days. ❤ I’m going to make more tomorrow so I’ll update with pictures then, but since I hardly ever post desserts I thought a very easy and delicious one might help make up for the lack of menu 😛 I have a feeling this recipe will be among my favorites for get-togethers all year round from now on, you should definitely give it a try. I made mine with lemon cake mix and added white chocolate chips, but the possibilities are obviously up to your creativity. Here’s the skeleton recipe:
Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 Box Cake Mix
- 2 Whole Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil (or Canola or Safflower or Plain Greek Yogurt or Melted Butter)
- 1/2 Cup (about) Add-Ins (Chocolate Chips, Nuts, Fruit, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a baking pan with parchment or spray lightly with oil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients and stir until all combined and no lumps of cake mix remain. (You can sift the cake mix before adding the other ingredients to make this easier.)
- Drop by heaping tablespoons (or use a cookie scoop – this is way easier and Michael’s usually has 50% off coupons so yay! #notanad) about 2 inches apart (12 should fit on a household baking sheet).
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes just until set. The longer you bake them the more cake-like they will be, so just use your judgment.
Have a great weekend.